Transcribed from handwritten manuscript by C. Brownlow Hastings

(Spelling carefully preserved to insure his style. Words otherwise spelled correctly are corrected in this copy. His sentences do not always begin with capitals. Punctuation is revised for clarity. Parentheses for clarity and brackets for additional words are used by transcriber where useful. Underscore blanks indicate indecipherable words).

My father's name was Jas. [Polk] Brownlow. He was borne in N.C. 1810. His mother moved to Giles Co. Tenn. in 1812. He had four bro and four sisters: all raised large familes. All lived and(di)ed in Giles Co. excep one went to Mo. He also raise a family. My father being the youngest of the family he was a carpenter by trade. Contraced to bild houses and sawed the lumber by hand. After saving up some mony he bought a farme and was a successful farmer. He also was a primative, or hard sh(e)ll, Baptist preacher, preached some where nearly evry Saturday and Sunday. When the ware betwene the states commenced in 1861 he was worth about $70,000. He had thirteen negros at that time, had sold three a short time befour the ware. He was a strong Democat and sesesionis; he was killed at Lawrenceburg, Tenn., by the federal troopers late in the fall of 1873 [1863], was buried at the McCrary berring ground near old Lynville.

My mother's name was Isabell(a). She was born in 1812, married in 1832. She was a verry industers hard working woman, spun and wove and made all the clothes for the family. She was never verry stout. She was a member of the same church with my father. Their was nine children borne to them: four died under the ages of seven year, five lived to be grone and married. The oldes one Isabell, or Priss, as we called her, married J. D. Howard. I was next to her. Eliza married R. S. Horn(e). Sallie married Bethel, or Tufa (?) Howard, as he was called. Jennie, the youngest, married T. W. Reynolds. He died. She married his brother Tomy Reynolds. My mother died in Mo. in 1882 and was buried at Prerary grove, Dallas Co. Mo.

I was borne in Giles Co., Tenn, Aug. 17, 1841. Worked on the farme as one of the hands. My education was limited as the schooles were verry inferer and only lasted about three mo in the year. People were verry social, helpen eacher in log rolens corn s(h)uckens and qui(l)tings. Socially their was no differance in slave holders and non slave holders. My father and myself made a trip to Tex in 1857. We went by a boat from Nashville to New Orleanes and steame ship from New Orleanes to Galvesten, from their to Houstin by boat up the Houstin bay, from their fifty miles by rail, the only R. R. in Tex at that time. Thence by stage via Austin to St. Marcus, wher we had some friendes, Mr. James Malone and family. We remaned their about three weekes, bought a Tex poney a peas. Road from their up to Collen county. Stoped at James Howard, New Farmersvill, and old friend for a week or so. From their via of Bonam, Grayson Co., from their through Ark. via way of Little Rock, Memphis, Jackson. Crossed Tenn. river at Savanah, Tenn. Arrived home found all well and doing well. I enjoyed the trip. It was worth a greadeal to me. In Dec, 1859, I married Hester Jane Ussery. She was borne Aug. 13, 1838. She had four bros and ten sisters, all lived to be grown. Three died single. The rest all married and had larg famileys. We lived with my father. He had a large 8 room house. I look after the farm and worked as one of the hands. I was to have one fourth of the net proseed of the farme. We made about four thousand dollars a year clear in 1860 and 61, when the ware was declared. Nov. 1860 Willie Jas. was born. He was a lovly child but never verry stout.


In Aprile, 1861, I enlisted in the army, Capt. J. W. Pedens' Co., made up at Campbellsville and vecinity. We had somthing over one hundred men. We joined the third Tenn. Regiment, which was organized at Lynnville. [The next page or so lists names and companies of men in the Third Tenn. Regiment]. I was in Company D, J. W. Peden, Cap., from Camp(b)ell, D. H. Hannah, first Leut, of Cambellsville, J. P. Lock, Second Liut of Cambellsville, ______ Ritenberry, Third Lieut, Isack Yokley, Ordely Sargent. Don"t remember all the miner officers names {Then follows a list of privates} J. G. Brown was elected (!) Col., Buck Gorden, Leut Col. Nat B. Chains of Springhill was electen major. We were sworne in at Nashville; went to camps at Camp Cheatham, Roberson Co., near Springfield, Tenn. Re-mained their about three monthes. Quiter a nomber of our men died, the most of them had measels. We spent the time their drilling. From their we went to camp Trousdale in the edge of Ky. We were their about three monthes. Also spent the time their drilling. From their we went to Bowlen Green, Ky. Spent the time their drilling and making breast workes.

About Feb. the first we was order to Fort Donalson. I got word that wife was verry sick. I got a furlow and went home. She was verry sick. As the battle was expecte I hurried back, got their the day befour the mane battle was fought. The battle was fought Feb. 15, 1862. The battle commenced early in the marning. Our forces charging the federals drove them back about one and a half miles. We had two men kiled in the first engagement, William Shuler, a cousin of my wife. William Kindrick. About the midle of the afternoon we attacked their againe. I was wounded in my right arm by a grape shot. Went to the hospitle, had my arm drest. The wounded was caried by boat to Clarkesville. Stayed over night. The next day we went by boat to Nashville. Stayed over night. The next morning I went to the L & N Depot. Their was no traine going until late in the eavening. I met a friend. He suggested that we walk on out the R. R., that he had made an arangment with the conducter to stop and take us on. So we walked on, got to Franklin about dark, 18 miles, walked in to the Depot. The first one I saw was my father. He had come that fair trying to hear what had become of me. He seamed glad see me. _______ in a short time Capt. Kidd train came. He ran the accomidation from Nashville to Mt Pleasant. The coaches was so crowded that we could not get on. So they hooked on to a box car. We got on board of it, but did not go verry fare until it brok loos, but they soon found out we were loos and back up and hooked on so we made it all right. Spent the night in Mt. Pleasant, got home the next day, found wife mutch better. We was verry mutch supprised to heare that our army had surrendered or a part of them. Gen. Floyed from Virginia got his Briggade off befour the surrender. Gen. Buckner and Gen. Gid Pillow was left in carge of the remainder of the infantry which was serrenderd. Gen Bedford Forist had comand of the calvery. It was said that he insisted that if they would take their men out that he would cover their retreet. They refused to do so. It was said he marched his men to Nashville without the fire of a gun. My old friend, Uncle Bob English, a citizen who went with me to Donalson, when he found they had serrenderd he started out a foot, came onto a loos ware horse, mounted it and came home. As soon as I got able I went to Corinth, Miss., where our army was station at that time. As my time was about out and my Regiment was in prison, I was discharged and came back home. The battle of Shilo was fought Aprile the 6 & 7. Our army [would have] gained a great victory if they had followed it up. Gen. Jos. E. Johnson, who was in comant, was mortaly wounded. That caused confusion and the charge seased. The next day Gen. Buell renforsed the federal army with forty thousand fresh troopes. His was the first to march through Maury Co. He was generous and did not allow his men to molest any one or take any thing from the people. I remained at home for a short time. Their was a company of federals camped near Mt. Pleasant on what is now known as the Jackson place.

My father and myself went to see my sister, Mrs. J. D. Howard. On our way home we met with two federals soldiers. They were not armed, was a foot. We tacon them prisoners, carried them to a vacant house about one and half miles from home. I guarded them while father went home and got supper for them. We payroled them and turne them loose. I was afrayed to stay at home. Wife and I went to Lawrence Co. to Joe Usserys, my wife's bro. My father sent me word to come home a ________ day, which I did. That eavening a Sqad of about 25 federals came in the back way and arrested us. They were piloted their by what we thought was one of our friendes, nam Neh. Hackony, who did not come to the house. As I was a round with them finding their horses, they asken me about two of our old friends, Bob English and Mack Alexander. I got chance to speak to Lewis. [ there are two p. 10s but the first is scratched all over and the second continues:]  One of our negro men had him to go tell them to get a way. He did so after supper. My mother had supper cook for all of them. They had me to pilot them to theas friends' houses. Uncle Bob, as we called him, got a way but Uncle Mack did not. He did not think they would molest him, but they did. Next morning they went by way of Marsells Falls. Their they arrested an other of our friends, Mr. Alf Williams, a man that had not tacon any part in the ware either side. They also arrested old man J. J. Dupree. He was about 75 ot 80 years old. He had never tacon sides, had not been on a horse for years and did not owne a horse, but they put on a horse bare back. They heard that Morgan men was in the neigborhood, so they galoped all the way to the camps. It was verry hard on the old man Dupree. Th first men we saw was thoes that we had captured. They reconized us. I supposed that it would go farely hard with us. They came to the gard tent. I told them that time about was fair play. If they ever told the office(r) he never said anything about it to us. I was the only one of our crowd that had been in the army. We had some good friends in Mt Pleasant that interceed for us and we was the first that they released. They made us take the oath to support the U. S. Government.

I remained at home for a while. Col. Joshua Morris, who was a malitia officer, made up a company of cavaldry at Campbellsville, Tenn. I joined his Co. We joined the army at Lugverne (?), Tenn. We had a skirmish with the federales. Some of our Co. was armed with shot gunes and some of them had no armes. The Co. got stamped the cap (?) and the most of the men went home and \/ never got togeather any more. I with five or six others hea(r)d that Gen. Forist was on his way from Mu(r)fesboro. We met him. He orderd us to take the advance guard, but the federals had gon back to Nashville. We came home to see what had become of the Co. their. I heard that Capt. C. F. Barnes had organized a company at Mt. Pleasant. I joined his Co. A short time after I joined the Co. I was elected Third Lieutenant. Thomas Helmick was first Lieutenant. M. L. Dilahay was Secon. Leut. We joined the Ninth Tenn. Regiment. Jacob B. Biffle of Wayne Co., was Col. W. C. Cooper of Lewis Co. was Lieutenant Col. The first service we did was with Gen. Foris on his raid in West Tenn. We swam our horses across Tenn River betwen Savanah and Clifton. Our first fight was at Lexiton, Tenn. We routed them and drove them back to Jackson. Foris made a faint attacked on Jackson, where they had concentrated their forses, then withdrew and captured Union Citty and Humbolt. Their was no soldiers at either place but we got a lot of supplise which we were verry mutch in ned of. We then started out, marched all night. Next morning we came on the federals at Parkers Cross roads. The fight lasted nearly all day. They surrendered, but befour we could get posseshion of their armes they were reenforsed by a large body of inferry. Foris orderd a retreet. We spent part of the nex night at Lexenton. They did not seame verry anxious to attack us. We crossed the river at Clifton, Tenn. I was the last one to cross, as I came on a head of the Co. to get some rations. We returned to Springhill, Tenn., wher(e) Gen. Vandornes army was camped. In a short time Gen. Forist was orded to North Ala. to look after Col. Street, who was on a raid their. At Pulaski Gen. Forist order that all the men that their horses was disable for a forse(d) march to be left on paster and the men to stay with the waggon train, Co. q., we calle them. I was detaled to take charge of them. I did not like the job, but I allwayes obeyed orders. We were orderd to camp this side of the Tenn. Rive(r) near Decator, Ala. After about five dayes running fighting, Gen. Forist had barley enouf men with him to gard them. So many horses had gave out. It was said when Col. Strete and his men found out how many men Gen Forist had with him, they were verry mad. We all returned to Springhill.

Gen. Vandorn was killed May the 6, 1863, by Dr. Geter, a citizen of Springhill. Jelosy was said to be the cause. Gen Forist tacon comand of all the army that was their. They were all cavaldry. The federals had a strong force at Franklin, Tenn. They would come out every few dayes and attack our army, but we allwayes succeded in driving them back.

One day we was marching down the Lewisburg and Franklin pike in the direction of Franklin. We were near the Brick Church, when the federals supprisen us and captured Freeman's battery and killed him after he had serrenderd. Our Regiment was just in front of the Battery. We was orderd to dismount and drive them back, which we did do, recapturing the Battery, thinking that the federals had got in front of us. We had two bros. in our company that had been drilled in the artilery. We had them turne them on them. After firering three or four shotes, a soldier came taring down the pike with a white flag saying we were firing at our own men, so we seased firing and returned to our horses. Don't remember that we had any fighting.

About the first of June we were orderd to cross the Tenn. river into North Ala. and remained in that part of country until about the first of Sept. The mane army was order to Chicamorga. Our Company came back to Maury Co. to get recruits. Their was several youn(g) men that joined our Co. I left the Co. at Alens Old Stand (?) six miles this side of Lawrencburg and went home. While I was their, the federals made a raid out from Columbia in our neigborhood, taking about all the horses and mules they could find that the rebel familes had tacon, several from my father. I was not at home that day but came home lat in the eavening, found what they had done [and] I hastly got seven men together and followed them. Found them camped at Jacob Yokleys. They were camped around the hous and barn. They also had tacon Ike Yokley and Col. Yokley prisiners. We hiched our horses up on the hill in the woods. First went to an old barn in the edge of the field not fair from the house. We got four or five horse their. Caried them back to our horses. We then went back and came up behind the pickets on the southside of the camp, captured them without raising alarm. Their was four of them. We went back, got our horses, came back to the road, started down the road. I halted them. Some of them had not goten a horse as we did not get anoeft to go round. I proposed to them if they would go back with me I would get them horses. They said they did not want any. Jas. Hale started back with me but when we got near the camp he stoped. I road in, got a fine mule, went back, found Hale had gon quite a ways down the road. I turned the mule over to him and started to the camp. But befour I got back someone fiard a gun on the other sid of the camp. So I turned back and joined the squad.

We sent our prisiners on South in a day or so. I got word from Capt Barnes that we would star out south on a certain day. I met them at the old Allen Stor six miles this side of Lawrencburg. When we got to Lawrenceburg I learned that my father had been shot by the federals that day. I left the Co., found him at Mr. William Porters house. He was shot through the bowels. I stayed over night with him. He only lived five days. He and Joe Ussery had gon out their on buisiniss. They heard the federals was coming [and] they started out. The federals came in behind them. My father was riding a mule. Ussery was riding a verry swift mare. He got away, but was shot twice in one of his legs. My father said he could not stop the mule.

I remained in the country for a few days after his death. The country was filed with them. They were arresting every reble they could heare of and some of our own people were piloting them. I had several narrow escapes from them. I went out south in a few days. Polk Lovell and Landen, one of our negro men, went with me. We ran into the federals several times befour we got out.

My wife and mother made all the clothes I wore after I left the Intfuntery (?). For winter they were Junes (?). They would mix white and black wool togeather, card, spin, and weave them long over coat with cape. They were verry comfortable and looked real well. I was verry proud of them.

Joined the Co. in north Ala. We spent the winter or the most of it their in the early part of 1864. We joined Johnson's army near Dalton, Ga. We were in a nomber of schurmishes. The mane battle was fought about the 11-12 & 13 of May at Dalton, Ga. We got the best of them, but they had so many more men than we had they would make a flank move and compell us to fall back.

Our next battle was fought at Resacca on the 15 of May. They captured our Hospittle tent. Our Regiment recaptured it. Three of Capt. Groves Co. was killed: Jack Nicholson, Billy Bryant and Robert Frierson. We got the best of them, but soon had to fall back.

Our next battle was a(t) Kenesaw Mountain. [We] hear Gen. Polk was killed. We had to fall back aguine. The next battle was at New Hope Church. We got the best of them hear, but had to fall back aguine. Their was hardly a day from Dalton back to Atlanta that we did not have skimishing and fighting by the cavaldry. Gen. Joe Wheeler had command of the cavaldry on the retreet. We remained in that section some time.

About the first of Nov. we were ordered to go to east Tenn., Gen. Joe Wheeler in comand. We remained in East Tenn. all the winter [and] did not have any battles of any consequence. About the 15 of Aug. we star- ted on what was knon as the Wheeler raid through Midle Tenn., Sept 12. We had a skirmish with the federals four miles south of Franklin in which Gen Kelly was kiled. I was wounded in my left sholder. Col. Jas. P. Brownlow of the federals was also wounded. Wheeler moved south via way of Columbia as fair as Cambells Station. He left the R. R., went via way of Cambellsville, the federals following. We had quite a fight with them at that place. I don't remember that they followed him any fa(r)ther. When I was wounded, Dr. Henry Long cut the ball out of my sholder. I got home the next day, stayed all night [and] left next morning.

Fell in with the army at Campbellsville. Got in company with my old friend, Uncle Bob English. He had Alford, one of his negro men. We bumed (?) along with the armey until we got near Musshuls Sholes. We left them and crossed Tenn. River at the Sholes. We remained in North Ala. until Gen. Forist made his raid in Middle Tenn. about the first of Oct. We fel in with him and came back. His first fight was at Athens, Ala on the L & N R. R. He captured them and burned the block house and tore up the R. R. He had four piece of artilery at that time. He sent Gen. Rodg. with his comand and the artilery to make a fast at(tac)k on Hunsville, then cross back over Tenn river. He did so. His nex place was Sulphur Trussell. He captured them and destroyen a block house and the R. R. He moved on up the road. He met a strong forse of federals 5 or 6 miles from Pulaski. He succeed in driving them back to the fort in Pulaski. That eavening after dark he made as he was going to Mufesboro, got them going in that direction [then] he sliped in behind them and destroyed several block house on the L & N north of Columbia, Tenn. He then went out crossing the Tenn. River below Florence, Ala. He did not loos but few men on the raid. This was about the 15 of Oct., '64.

On the eavening Forist got to Pulaski Uncle Bob, J. D. Howard('s) old man, Andrew Mitch(el), left the armey, came round west of Pulaski, stoped on Hames Creek for super. Howard and my self tacon supper with my sisternlaw, Mrs. Tom Welles. Uncle Bob and Mr. Mitche tacon supper with the widow Pryor. We got their befour they ate supper. Mr. Mitchel got someth like medicin out of his vest pocket and tacon it, sat down and eat a hearty supper. After supper we mounted our horses and started in the direction of Campsbellsville. We had not gon verry fair until we found that something was the mater with Mr. Mitchel. He acted like a drunk man, but did(n't) know anything. We carried him back to Mrs. Pryor and went on to Campsbellsville. Told Dr. Campbell about him. He went to see him the next morning, but he was ded. I remained in the comunity until Hood came in. That was about the 19 of Nov., 1864.

I fel in with Buforde's command at Campbellsville, where he had quite a fight with the federals, but succed in driving them back to Columbia. A sad thing occured just after the battle. One of Mr. Hugh Yokley's little girls was acdently shot & killed by one of the soldiers droping his gun. I went on with the comand. Joined my company at Franklin while the battle was on. Our Regiment was on the extrem left. This battle was fought Dec. 1, 1864. Their was no enemy in our front. They were all in the Fort. The infantry was charging them. I knew they were being kiled by the holesale. I think that was the greatest mistake that was made during the ware. I never felt mutch like fighting after that. I guess whisky was the cause. The federals left their that night for Nashville.

We moved on toward Nashville the next morning, taking our position on the extreme left of the armey near Gen. Hardin place, where we remained doing picket duty and skimishing with the enemy until the 12 of Dec. We were ordered to go to the exstream right of the army on Sones river. The ground was literaly covered with ice. It was verry cold. We went into cam(p) about sundown. We got buisy, some making fiars, some going after straw for beding, som for forage for our horses, som cooking. We were soon verry comfortly situated. About 9 o'clock I cralled into my little tent, but in a few minutes I got orders to report to Col. Biffle. He ordered me to take ten men and go down on Cumberland Rive(r) which was about three miles off to catch some spise. Told me to see Mr. Dave McGafice. Said he had the largest house in that country. I got my boys up and started. The moon was shining bright. Our horses could hardly stand up, the ground was [so] covered with ice. We found the place without any trouble. He had an office in the yard. Two or three of our soldiers was their and had a good fiar, which was verry acceptable to us, for we were verry cold. After geting warme I went to the mansion [to] call upon McGafic, told him my mission [and] we consulted a while. I told him that my men could stay out without fear and no spy would come when their was fiar. He suggested that we go to the barn that their was plenty hay and corn, feed our horse and sleep the balance of the night, which we did. Early next morning the overseer woke me up, told me the spyes was on the other side of the river in and old house. I asked him if their was any boat or skift that we could get a cross on. He said their was non near their. Mr. McGaface invited us to breakfast. We acepted the invitation readily, but felt a little out of place eating in suchy palace as that was. But we crtainly enjoyed it and the family seamed to enjoy having us.

About nine o'clock Col. Biffle came down with the regiment. He ordered us to remain in the bend of the river on picket duty. I told him if they left their to let us know. He said he would. We remained their until the morning of the 15. The mane battle commenced that morning. About eleven o'clock Mr. McGaface sent word to us that their was not a man betwen us and Nashville. I told the boys we would have dinner befour we left. Their was a nice family by the name of William who was verry kind to us. Two of their sones went with us. One of them was killed in a skirmish on this side of Weatherford Creek. We got up with the command lat in the eaving and hapaned to come up with our Co. The first ones, they had just comenced to retreet. We did not stop but moved on with them. It had turned warmer and rained all night. We stopen a while that night. What sleep I got that night was on two mules, one end stuck in the crack of the fence. Next morning it was still raining. We deployed as schirmishers and continued our retreet. Nearly all of our men had on yanky over coates or oil cloth. So we got conciderably mixed up. I was riding alone. A stranger road up by my side. I said to him, What comand he belong to? He said, The fourth Tenn. I says, What company? He told me. I said, You are a federal, and you [he?] said, Yes. I said, Give me your gun. You are a prisiner. I heard of several others that was captured the same way.

We did not have but little fighting that day on our part of the line. We was on the east of our line. The next night we camped near Springhill. Next morning our company was orded to bring up the rear. We had a skirmish with them early that morning. They did not bother us mutch that day. Late in the eavening we crossed Wetherford Creek, which was dificut to cross. The bridge had been distroyed. We went in to campes on this sid of the creek and stayed until late the next day. I was detailed to take charge of the pickets that night on the south bank of the creek. By this time it had turned verry cold. We had quite a fight late that eavening. That was wher the young man Williams was kiled. After dark we fel back across the river. We had pontoon brid(g)e to cross on. Camped that night in Park Morga(n)s grove.

Next morning our Co. disbanded to go home to get clothers and rashings. I stayed one night at home. Went to Pulaski the next day, supposing the armey would be their, but heard that Gen. Forist was stil at Columbia. He was their four day which saved Hoodes army. I stayed with some friend below Pulaski. Next morning came back to Pulaski, found that Gen. Forist was stil at Columbia.

I came back home, fel in withe my Co. at Campbellsville. Gen. Chalmers brigade was their & had orders to go back to the Pulaski pike. He call for some one to pilot him. I was detalen to pilot them. We had some skirmishing with them befour we got back. We came on the pike betwen the armyes, but was order back in the direction of Campbellville. As we left the pike they charged us and stampe(e)d our men. I was at the head of collum with Gen. Chalmers. We left the road and took to the woodes up a verry steap hill. My horse was about give out. I thought he got along awful slow. I thought about leavening him, but all my close and rashings was tied on my sadle. By the time we got to the top of the hill they was among us. One of them purs(u)ed me and was making for Gen. Chalmers and Col. Taylor, who was just in front of me. But he was kiled befour he got either of them. That was late in the eavening. So I thought I had filled my mission. Not knowing where my Co. was, I desided I was not going to be captured. I moved on to Pulaski. It was dark by this time. I came up with Gen. Forist' bodyguard drawing corn. So I fel in with them and got corn for my horse. Found a home where I could stay over night. Had a good supper & a good bead _____ to sleep on. Early the old gentleman woke me up & was verry anxious for me to get off, but I got my breakfast befour I left. Went on to the river, found that all of Hood's army had crossed on pontoon bridges & were all on the other sid of the river except thoes that was with Gen. Forist. He had quite a battle with them at Antneshill (?), captured two pieces of artilery & kiled & captured a lot of them. I don't think they followed him verry clostly after that. I soon fou(n)d the Co. We camped near Barton's Station below Tuscumba, Ala. It was a verry poore country & thinly setled. Consequently we was short of rashings. We was camped clost to a family that would let us have something to eat if we had gold or silver or greenbacks, which I had neither. Capt. Groves said to me, Les go get some dinor. I said they would not take the kind of money I had. He said, Come on. He had a five dollar gold piece. I certainly enjoyed that dinner, and I have never forgoten Capt. Groves. I love his memory now. We did not remaine their verry long on the account of the scarsity of fead and rashings, but moved on south stoping for a while at Verona, Miss. Next we campen at Paloalta, near Wespoint, Miss. We remainen heare for sometime. We was ordered to Tuscalosy, Ala. Their my horse gave out and I had to stop for a few days, but the command moved on in the direction of Selma. Gen. Forist had some skirmishing with them, but was ordered to Gainesville, Ala, where I got back with the Co. where we was payroled on the 11th day of May 1865. I was a foot, my horse had died. I tried to get one of our waggon mules, but Capt Irwin, who was our quartermaste(r) had charge of them [and] would not let me have one. But my old friend, Bob English, was with us. He had two horses, one was his old family horse, Charley. He said I could ride him, but he did not know whether he could make it through, but he did. We was several dayes geting home, but did not see any federals.


We found the folkes all well and they had plenty to eat. Lunden had come back in time to make a crop and made a plenty to do [for] us all. Wife was stil on Anderson Creek. In the fall we moved back to my mothers. By this time I had contracted the third-day chilles. I tried every thing I could think of but grew worse. One night Minton Brownlow, a cousin of Mine, came to see me. The Goverment sale of horses & mules was on at Nashville. He had been traiding some, but did not have mutch money, but said if we could get some money, we could make some money. I did not have any, but I thought I k(n)ew wher we could borrow some. Next morning we started to Nashville. We expected to get the money from some partys near Lynnville. We suceeded in geting $1,000. We went up in the eaving. We stayed that night at the Hotel. I drank a lot of hidren (hydrant ?) water. It purged me like oil. I did not go to the stockyardes until eleven o'clock next, and he was bying about everry horse and mule that was sold until his mony gave out. He had bought about 90 head. He got a man to help him and drove them through to my mothers. I went home on the traine. The word soon went out that we had horses and mules for sale. The people came. I was not mutch judge of what they were worth, but we made a bill of sale for evry one. So I would price them at about double what they cost. We soon sold them out & paid our borrowed money back and had some left. I think the trip cured me. By this time the horse & mule sale was over. We bought a lot of government waggones. We did verry well with them.

My father had willed the home place to my youngist sister and my self. My part did not have any improvements on it. The fall of 1866 I comensed to build. Their was a good log house on the Hunt place that belong to the estate. So we moved that and built to it. It was two roomes & a hall, half storry above. We aded and ell dining room and kitche(n). Later we wetherbordid and sealed, also built a very good barn.


The condition of the country polittically was bad. We had two classes in the community--rebles and union men. Some of the latter had been piloting the federals and reporting the rebles and caused them to do a great more than the otherwise would have don. The federals was soon orderd away. That left the union men that had acted so badly in a bad fix, but they were soon kiled or had to leave the country. The negros became verry impudent and indilent. Carpet baggers, as they were callen, came from the North & they made the negros worse than they would have been. They organized them into some kind of socites. The did not cear (care ?) for them, but the money they got from them was what they wanted. About this time some of our young men organized what was known as Cuclocks. They soon drove the carpet bagers out and caused the negros to behave mutch better. W. G. Brownlow was goviner of Tenn. when the ware closed, but was elected to the U. S. Senate. Center was Lieutenat Gov. We were all disfranchised. The republican convention was held in Nashville in the fall of 1866 to nominate. Goviner Stokes and Center was the canidates. I hapened to be in Nashvill at the time. Some of my friendes as(ked) me to go up. Said they were devide and was having Squntey (?) times. So I went. W. G. Brownlow's boy was leaders for Stokes. He was what we called a radical. Center was more conservitive. The convention devided and both men ran. At that time evry man had to get a crtifacate befour he could vote. Center being God, he had the appointing of the men to give the cirtificates. They were conservitive men and gave us all cirtificates. We all voted for Center and he was elected and made a good Goviner. So we began to feal like we was some body. He served for two turnes. Gen. J. C. Brown of Pulaski--[he] was elect a confedrat [Brevet] General--he served two turnes.


The churches had gon down in the most of places, but they soon began to build up. The C. P. [Cumberland Presbyterian] had a strong church at Campbellsville. I was attending a revivle meeting at that place when I profesed a hope in Christ, but not at the church, but riding along the road. That was in the fall of '67. My mother being and old Baptist, as they was callen, I joined the church with her. I stayed til some time after I moved to Mo.


Back to the farme. Landen & his wife stayen on the farm. I gave him a good lay (?) and he made money for he was a good farmer. In '68 I sold part of my farme to one of my brothernlaws, R. S. Horn. He lived their four or five years and sold the farm to Landen. His wife stil ownes the place.

In 1867 I started a store at Campbellsville, hired R. S. Brownlow, a cosen, to look after it for me. We ran that about three years, but I did not devote mutch of my time to the store, but to the farme and trading in stock. It was supprising how soon we got over the effect of the ware in that part of the country. We all went to work and had good crops and got good prices and the people lived equnomical & helped each other, labor being scars and hard to get. The negros had moved to town, or a larg potion of them.

My farm being rough and hilly, hard to keep up, in the fall of 1872 I desided to go west and see if I could not get smoother land to work. Two of my brothernlawes decided to go with me, R. S. Horn & T. W. Reynoldes. We desided to go to Springfield, Mo., & see if we could get a waggon & drive through to Texas. We had a friend by the name of Knox living near Springfield. We stoped their. I had a brotherinlaw, J. W. Alexander, living in Dallas Co. I went up to see him, told him our planes. He soon desided to go with us and would furnish the waggon & team. I told him if he would, we woul(d) pay all the expensis. As soon as we could shape up we starten. John Lock, an old friend of ours--he was a brothernlaw of Mr. Knox--he desided to go with us. We went through Benton & Cass County, Ark., and across the Indian teritory, what is now Oclehoma. That was the finest country that we saw. The M. K. & T. r. r. was being built at that time. The cars was running as faire as Muskogy. We crossed Read River at what is now Denisen, Tex., 9 miles this side of Sherman. We found some friendes their, the Dupre boys. We stopen a day or so with them. We went in the direction of Ft. Worth, but did not go quite that fare when Horne & Reynoldes got sick. We stopen for a few day. When they got better, Alexander and Lock both got sick. They all had Malary fevour. We was lucky to meet with a young Dr. Knox, who was a cousin of Lockes. As soon as they were able to traviale we started back, satisfied we did not wanto bring our family where it was so sicly. The water was the trouble, but that has been over come to a great extent now. The first time we came where cowes (?) was running Horn & Reynolds went home. I went home with Alexander. When we got on top of the blue mound in site of Alexander's house he said, I believe this is about as good country as I have seen. We was glad to get back where we could get a square meal. We made up lost time. Aunt Becky was one of the best cooks I ever saw. I looked around their three or four days and bought a farme from J. C. Ropes about two miles south of Alexanders's. The farme containen about 350 acres, about 150 acres in cultivation. I paid $14 per acre. The improvments was fair for that county at that time. I returned home and begin to make arrangementes to move the next Spring.


I made traid with Mr. Albert Burkes to go ahead of me and make a crop the first year as we could not get their in time to make a crop. We had no trouble in sellng our stock, farming utencils & house hole good. They all brought a good price. But I did not sell my farme, but rented it out.

We moved in Aprile (1870 ?). We had some right cold weather after we landed their. We got of(f) at Lebinon, Mo, about 28 miles from Buffal(o), Dallas Co. They had a hack line to Buffalo, but when we got to the Niagun (?) river where it was swolen I was afraid to have my family cross. They stayed over night with a northen family. I cross and went to Alexander, got a waggon and teame, came back after the(m) the next morning. They was glad to get to Uncle John's. We had six children at that time, Willie, Bell, Sallie, John, Joe & Mackey. The youngest was two months old. It turned verry cold for the time of the year. It had been verry warme befour we left Tenn. I did not take my overcoat with me. When I went after our goods Uncle John gave me a yankey overcoast. I did not think I would ware it, but befour I got back it was so cold that I put it on, but I soon got reconstructed. Their was quite a nomber of northern people & some of them had been in the army, but we all got along fine. They were good neighbors. I did not make any crop the first year. The second year I had as fine prospect up til the fourth of July I ever had. The hot windes & the chinty bugs struck it about the same time and ruined in less than two weekes. It was all over the country. I sowed about 25 or 30 acres of wheat that fall. It was a hard fall for some of the poore people to get through. I cut my wheat and thrashen early and lone out all of it except what I had to keep for bread until the corn crop came in. That was the only failiar we had while we was on the farme.

I traded in stock, made two tripes south with mules and one or two to St. Louis. Mad(e) some money both trading and farming, built a good barne, moove the dweling house & aded mor too it. We had about the nicest improved place in the neigborhood. We organized the Grange. I was prominent in that. Their was a great improvemen among the farmers socially. Also in their mode of farming and marketing their farme productes we all cooperated togeather in bying and selling. The farmers had been discourage(d), but their was a great change in five years. All went to work with renewed energy. When we left the farme they were in good shape and prosperous.

During this time the Greenback Party sprang up. We were all uniten in that. We elected one of our men, M. L. Reynolds, as representive on the Legislator from our county. The next election they nominated me. I did not wanto make the rase, but they insisted that I should. The Republicanes nominated W. L. Morrow, one of the welthy and best men in the county. He was a good friend of mine. The Democrates were nearly all Greenbackers. Morrow was elected by 35 votes. I have been proud that he was. I might have got off in politices and it might have been detmenteral to my self and family. So that ended my career as a politician.

Soon after this I bought a half interest in Mr. W. L. Morrow's store. He was doing the largest buisiness in the town [Buffalo?]. His bro. T. B. Morrow, bought the other half. We did a splended buisiness. Mr. George O'Bannon built a large store house and started a store. He wanten me to take a half interest with him. I sold my interest in the Morrow Store & went with O'bannon. We had a prosperous buisiness. While I was with him the Toucy Bros. from Kansis came to our town and organize a bank and rann it a while, got dissatisfied and offerd to sell out. So I bought them out. I sold my inters in the store. I was sucessful in that. My family was stil on the farme. [I] did(n't) sell the farme for some time after this, but the school was so mutch better in town that we moved to town. This was the fall of 1882. I did all the work my self until John got old enouf to help me.


Willie & Mackey both died in 1874 and was buried at Preragrove (Prairie Grove ?). Wife had never joined the church. A short time after their death she joined the church with me. I had joined the Hard Shell Baptist, as they was called out their. The church was about 9 miles from our place. They only had preaching once a month. I graduly drifen off until I did not wanto go attall & did not go. I could get along through the weak but when Sunday came I felt awful bad. Religion was at a low ebb in Buffalo at that time.

One Monday morning at the breakfast table I said to wife and the children, I heare they are having a meeting at Reynold's Chappell. Would you all like to go? They said they would. So we went. They were having a good meeting. Sallie had profesed at home a short time befour that. Wife and her went to work [in the church ?] that day. We attended the meeting day and night until it closed. Bell was saved during the meeting and all three of them joined the church their. They were Missionary Baptist. I had lost the joyes of salvation. I commence praing that the Lord might make me feel like I once felt and promist him if he would I would work for him as long as I lived. It was not long until I was feeling all right. I did not know what the Missionarys believen. I was satisfied that I was not in the right place. So I went to reading the bible. It red like a new book. I was reading for information. Bro. Stinecipher, who was the pastor of the Baptist Church at Buffalo came to town. I invited him to spend the night with us, that I wanted to talk with him. He did so. I told him my expearnce and that I could not believe lik the old Baptist did and told him how the plan of salvation had opened up to me since studing the Bible and that I was looking for a people that believ that way. He said that they believed that way and shoed me their articles of faith. I told him that was allright and that I would joine the church the first chance I had and I did so.

At that time the Baptist & Methodist owne the church house in partnership. It was a small frame house. We had a protrac(t)ed meeting soon after that. Our church was strengthen & very mutch encouraged. The M. E. folkes had been wanting to sell or by the Baptist out, but Bro. Guard Loven had told them they could do neither one. I told him if they said any thing more about it to tell them to make a proposition that we would give or take, but he did not think we were able to build, but I told hime we could. Some time after that they made a proposition & we sold out to them.

We secured a good lot & went to work to build a good house out of brick. I comenced work withe the handes geting up rock for the foundation and made a hand until it was finished. It was not faire from the Bank. It cost us about 4,000 dollars. We soon paid it off & dedicated it. I was making money at that time & felt I had lost so mutch time that I must make up some of it. So I gave liberally. Soon after the house was compleated we had another good meeting.

We called a pastor for all the time and got on fine, had good S. S., good prayer meeting, the church prosperus. The M. E. folkes built a good house. Evry thing was doing mutch better religiously than they had been. The whole town got stirrd up. We were working with the country churches. They seamed to take on new life. Dallas & Polke Co(s). were both in the same association. We desided we would divide them and have a Polk Co. and a Dallas Co. association. We employed G. W. Sherman as missionary for our Dallas Association. He had good success. The old c(h)urches was all revive and all had pastors. Their was but few churches in the Co. except the Missionary Baptist. They had a church in nearly evry community. We organized two or three new churches. We spent concideralb time in meeatings in the county. We had two good span of horses that we kepte for that purpose. We had a good time. Wife & Sallie were good workers and was very successful. In 1887 Geo. Sherman & Sallie was married.

I had sold a half interest in the Bank to F. M. Brown. He hiared Mr. Rily Self to do his part of the work & I had John to do my part. So I only tacon the oversight of the buisiness, but evry thing was running smoothly financially & religiously. In May 1890 wife and I decided to go to the Southern Baptist Convention in Ft. Worth, Tex. Bro. Henry Loven and wife went with us. That was the largest geathering of the kind we had ever been at. We had attended the state convention befour, but it was nothing like as large geathren as that was. We had a delitful time. Dr. Brawdes and Dr. Kurfoot [Kerfoot] was their and a nomber of others, strong preachers.

After the Convention was over we went to Galveston, Tex and spent four or five days. Bro. Loven and wife went with us. We visited my youngist sister at Paris, Tex. Also viseted some old friends at Farmersvill, Tex. We had a delitful trip, returned home, found evry thing running smoothly. Joe married about this time. We could not use him in the bank. He had learned the banking buisiness an wanted to follow that buisiness. He wanted me to assist him in geting a job. I had been in corrisponding with my cousin, J. W. Fry, at Lynnville, Tenn., about him starting a bank their. I thought it was a good place for a bank. I told Joe if he wanted to go their I would go and see what could be done. He said he would go any where to get a job. I came hear about the first of July, 1890, told my cosen what my buisiness was. After talking the matter over he desided he would go in with him and start a bank. So I (w)roat Joe what I had don and for him to get read(y) to come.

Befour going back I got a horse from my cousen and went over on big creek where my old home was about 10 miles west of Lynnville. Wife had a sister living their. I went over on friday, the fourth day of July. The neighbors had gathered together for a fishfry. They were just ready to sit down to dinnor as I road up. We had a talkful time. I was glad to meet with my relative & old friends. Their was so many of them at that time, but their are but few of them heare now. I s(t)ayed with my sisternlaw, Mrs. Jas. Colvett, until Sunday morning. I asked her if their was preaching any where in the neigborhood. She said their was not. So I desided to go back to Lynnville and see what the religious stratus was their. I had not gon verry fare when the impression came to me that I oughto come back hear. I tried to dismiss the impression, but it kept coming. I said, I can't leave my c(h)urch and the work out their & my buisiness. I thought I had evry thing just as I wanted it. We had a nice home c(l)ost to the church. Wife & I were both teacher in S. S., but the impression keped coming & I kept trying to get rid of it. The next impression came: Did you not promis the Lord you would do any thing he wanted you to do? I said, yes. I thought I would pray over the matter, but I could not. I said I would come back if we starved. I attended church at the Presbyterian Church. Their was a small crowd. Their was not mutch encouragemen along that line.


I went back to my cousens, told him what I had deside to do. He said he was glad I had. I went back home in a day or two, had not been in the house five minutes until Sallie said, You are going back to Tenn. I said, How did you know that? I had not written a word about my go(ing) back. To my supprise wife and all the childres except John wanted [to] come back. I soon sold my interest in the bank to my partner, T. M. Brown. I soon had evrything shaped up and moved hear the 20 day of Aug., 1890. J. F. Norman & G. W. Sherman familys came with us. Bro. Sherman went to Louisvill, Ky., to the Seminary & was their until the next June. We got read(y) for buisiness by the first of Nov. John came out about Christmas. We deside that we would organize a bank at Mt. Pleasant, Tenn. We organized about the first of Aprile, 1891.

Old Bro. Evans, a baptist preacher who lived at Culleoka, Tenn., came to see us and wanted us to have bro. J. H. Anderson, who was corisponding secutary of the state at that time, to come down and hold a meeting. He came. We had a verry good meeting. They thought it best to organize a church. I hardly thought it best. Their was but few Baptist their besides our family, but we organized. Bro. Anderson said the board would help us pay a pastor. We did not have any house to worship in. The Presbyterians did not have preaching every Sunday. So they let us worship in their hous. Bro. Anderson wanted us to call old Bro. Evans (?) as pastor, so we did, but he was so old he could not do mutch good.

Bell died the last of Aprile [1892 ?] and was burried where my father was. Bro. Sherman came the first of June. We soon got into the work holding meeting in the comunity. We held a verry successful meeting at a school house on top of the hill at Dodson's Gap. The church at Lynnville went with the people at Dodson Gap, which is now the Waco Church. The first of Sept. Bro. Sherman went back to Louisville and was their until the first of June, 1892. John's eyes faled him in July--he had grannulaten lides. I had to take charge of the bank at Mt. Pleasant.


About the first of Sept we moved to Mt. Pleasant. We had no church their. We joined the church at Columbia. Bro. Mahoney was pastor. We started a cottage prayer meeting evry Thursday night, which we enjoyed verry mutch. We kept them up as long as we stayed their. Bro. Sherman came home the first of June, 1892. He comenced the work in earnest, preaching to the old churches and holding meetings over the county. He soon found Bro. E. W. Walker, J. E. Hight, R. A. Fitzgerald & Joe Vecy. Had impressions to ______ they were ordained during that year. All entered into the work heartily & have been successful ever since. In 1893 the Ebineaser Association was organized with 10 or 12 churches. We employ(ed) Bor. Sherm(an) as Missionary. We had a very prospus year. The old churches was revived and went to work, called pastors. Three of the old preachers done what they could to help the work and was in cympathy withe us. Bro. B. Hull, W. F. Ussery & Dr. Dorson. Several new churches was organized. Bro. A. L. Davis was pastor at Columbia when we organed the Association. He did what he could to help the work on.

In 1893 was the worst financial crises we ever had. A large nomber of the bankes failed. Their was three bankes in Columbia at that time. All of them failed. Our bank at Mt. Pleasant was the only bank in the county that did not close. We had more money when the crisis was over than we had when it started. I had some strong old soldier friend that stud by us and the Lord was with us. I had learned to turst (sic) him in my buisiness as well as in my religion. We had sold our interest in the Bank at Lynnville befour the crisis, but they pull through, too. In 1892 we builded two good brick store houses in Mr. Pleasant and engaged in the mercantile buisiness as J. P. Brownlow & Sones. Cecil had goten old enuf to help in the store. He, John & I looked after the store & Joe looked after the Bank.

In 1893 the Maury Nat. Bank was organized in Columbia. In April 1894 I told Joe that I thought it would be best for us to moove our bank to Columbia, as we would have so mutch larger territory to draw from and that we would come in contacte with men of larger buisiness interest. He did not think we could compeet with them as they had so mutch larger capital than we had. I told him they were men just like [we] were and that it was for his benafit more than my self, that I could make a living their. I told him I would go up and investigate the matter. So when I got their I found that their was Mr. J. L. Hutton their on the same buisiness. So I found Major Williamson was winding up the buisiness of the Second National Bank, which was the last one to faile. He was in the Helm building on the corner of the Squir & Sevnth Strete. All the ba(n)ke fixturs were as they were when the bank failed. So I got and option on the building. I vis(it)ed quite a number of the buisness men. They gave conciderabl encouragement to come. I had asked my cousen, J. W. Fry, to meet me that day at Columbia, and he did. I wanted him to go in with me, but he did not think it best, but after he found we were making a success, he came and wanted in. Joe thought it best to let him in, so we did and organized a stock Co. under the state laws. We stil retained a branch bank at Mt. Pleasant in conection with the store. We moved to Columbia in Aprile, 1894, bought the safe and fixturs of the Secon Nat. Bank, Joe & my self looking after the buisiness hear & John & Cecil at Mt. Pleasant.

It was not long until phosfate was discovered at Mt. Pleasant and they wento mining. It helped our buisiness in the Bank and Store verry mutch. Evry thing ran on smoothly and our buisiness moore than thribled. In 1907 an other financial crisis came verry unexpeced, but the bankes all cooperated together and would not pay out but a small percent on the deposites, but ishered scrip to take the place of currency until the scear was over. It worked fine and but few ba(n)kes failed, none in this country. Mr. Hutton organized a bank in Columbia soon after we did and he did a good business too.


The crisis was hard on the phosefat buisiness. They lost about all of the export traid and some of the local traid. In 1904 we sold out the mercatile business. John went into the phosefat buisiness. [It] was verry satisfactory. In 1906 I bought the Buck Jones farme, two miles from Columbia on the Mt. Pleasant pike. I had not thought of bying a farme. About a year befour this a man came heare from Heriman. He wanted to by a farme. Bro. Tunnell was our pastor at that time. He had got him to come. They went out look(ing) at the farme. They came back and was telling me about the farme. He said he could make the first payment, but that his finance was in such shape he did not know whether he could meet the second payment. So I unthautaby (?) said if the place was what he & Bro. Tunnell said it was that I would take it off of his handes. When the time came, he came to me and said he could not make it. I told him I would go out and look at it. I went and looked at it and was satisfied it was worth the money which [was] $80.00 per acer. Mr. Littlefield had sold him the farm. I assumed his obligations & payed him the money he had paid & bought his crop and stock & tools.

We soon mooved on the farme. We recovered & repanted the house out and inside. The barn did not need any repares. Wife and the girls did not mutch wanto leave town, but after we got thinges fixed up they were happy. The people had some enga(ge)ment for milk and butter in town. I told the girls if they would look after the milk & butter that I would bring it in for them evry morning as I had to come in evry morning to work in the bank. So they did. Not long after that Mrs. Hatcher, a neighbor, had been in the dung business and wanted to sell out, so we bought her out and ran the buisiness until we sold out. We was geting on verry nicely, but it was prety hard on me to runn the farme & bank. I told Joe I was going to give up one or the other and that my health was so mutch better on the farme than it was in town I was going to give up the Bank. He did not want me to give up the Bank, said he could not runn it by his self and that he did not think I could make a living on the farme. I told him I had done it and I believed I could do it againe. After studing over the matter he suggested the idie of consolidating with one of the other bankes. I told him I would prefur consolidating with the Maury Nat. Bank, so we worked up a deal with them. That was in 1909. I did not think about making any money by the deal, only thought of geting out of the buisiness. Our stock was worth $1.25 & when we got their it was worth $2.00. I had 6,000 of stock. So you see I made a right good profete.

We was fortunat to get a good negro man & his wife, Davey & Dealey. Neither of them was religious when they came, but it was not long until both of them was saved. No one could stay round wife and Cora long without being saved. They became verry mutch attaced to us and we to them. They were the best servantes we ever had. It seemed they took a delite in trying to pleas us.


In 1910 Cora went to Chickash(a), Okl. Bro. Sherman and family were their at that time. She was employed as assistant missionary while she was their & they wanted her for an other year the next summer. While they were hear Kitty got a proposition from the Presiden of the Womans' Industral School to teach voice culture, which she acceped. They did not wanto go unless we would go with them. I told them I would not go unless I sold the farme. About the first of Sept. [1910 ?] Bro. Sherman and family went back home. Kitty went with them. In Oct. I got badly hurt on a load of bale(d) hay going under the barn loft. The children was moore anxious for me to sell than ever. On Thankesgiving day we sold the farme to Mr. Fran. Lenard for $125.00 per acre. We made a verry nice profit on it. Land had advance in value verry mutch since we bought, but did hate to give it up. I had often told wife that I did not think it best for old people to break up and follow their children a round, but wife wanted to go. So we had a sale & sold of all our stuff except our bead (best ?) clothes & waring clothes and few piece of furniture and left heare Jan 11, 1912 [for Chickasha]. I guess it was best as I have never been able to do any kind of work since that time.


We will go back and take up the religious work. Bro. J. H. Thompson was our next pastor [after Bro. Tunnell ?]. He did not take mutch interest in our associational work. Bro. Nate Jones and I started a mission in Southeast Columbia. While he was hear he did help us in that work. Our next pastor was Dr. Petty. He helped us in the mission and the association. Both prospered. Bro. T. T. Thompson was our man & a good preacher, but did not hold what we had gained while Bro. Tunnell was heare. He was liked by every body. He left the church the first of January, 1912. Since that time the church has not had a pastor for any length of time and are without one at preasant, but hope to get one soon. The summary of our work since the organization of our association to the preasant: 12 men have been ordaned to preach. 12 or 13 old churches have been revived. 22 church(es) have been organized. Some of them have gon down on the account of the people moving away. We now have 10 pastors on the field and I think they are as good or better than we have ever hade. We are expecting greater thing this year than we have ever had. We have a mission campane on now, which we believe will do great good. Bro. J. W. Patten has been moderater of our association for a nomber of years. Bro. W. E. Walker has been clerk. He has made a good one. I was tresure until I left for Oklehoma. Bro. G. T. Howell is now tresure. Bro. J. W. Patten, W. E. Walker & J. E. Hight have stad by the work all the time and have been faithfull. The other brethren that was ordained have scat(t)er over the South & West, several of them in Tex. and as faire as I know are doing good work.


After I went to Oklehoma I did what I could in personal work and in assisting our missionary in meetings and enjoyed the work verry mutch. In March 1912 [really 1913] Cora & L. T. Hasting(s) married. He was our missionary from that time until the first of Oct., 1912. They moved to Ft. Worth, Tex, to attend the Seminary. Kitty & Buck Howard married the first of May the same year. She came back to Columbia. Wife('s) health seame better than it had binn since [we] were their. We decided to come back to Tenn.


Cora tacon our things with them, thinking that we would make our home with her. Soon after we returned I had bro. Hight to hold a weeke's meeting at the mission in South Columbia. We had a good meeting. Their was several profesed. The church hear had no no pastor at that time. None of them joined the church. I soone realised that we would have to settle down somewhere. I went to praying over the matter, told the Lord I would go any where he wanted me to go. I knowed he knew where we could do the most good, and I was anxious to do what I could. So the impression came to go to Mt. Pleasant. I thought over the matter. They had a weak church their that they had organized in May, had no pastor, not having preaching verry often & no Prayer meeting. Had a smal S. S. and a Woman's Society. They were doing what they could. The maile members was not taking mutch interest. They had 19 or 20 members and I had two boys their and I thought we might be able to help them to. So we went their about the first of Nov., 1913, [and] lived with my oldest son John. I had already made arrangments with Bro. G. H. Freemans to hold a meeting for them their in Nov. He did and we had a glorious meeting, 37 additions to the little church. We joined with them. We went to work to get a pastor. We called Bro. Freeman for half time. He accepted, but later desided not to come, but recommended Bro. W. R. Bicket, who at that time was in Wayne Co. We had him pay us a visit & we called him for half time, but he could not moove on the field befour the first of Aprl, 1914. We kept the work up very well. Right after the meeting we had cottage prayer meeting two or three night in evry week. They helped us verry mutch. Bro. Berry Overstreet, one of the converts in our meeting, was a great help to us. He tacon a great interst in them & it helped him verry mutch. We had 20 or 25 additions to the church up til the first of Oct., when Bro. Freeman held us an other good meeting. We had 28 aditions this time. Bro. Bicket came the first of April. In stead of half time we paid him for all the time. Our people were delited with him and the work has prospered.


In Febuary of 1914 I passed the crisis of my life. Wife's health had been gradually failing evry since we returned, but she grue mutch worse & for over two weekes she did not know any of us, and the morning of the 9 day of March [other records say 4th] her soule left the body and went home to God, who gave it. Her life went out just like a candle burning out and without a struggle. But to my supprise my sorros & grief was turned to Joy. I comenced thinking how happy she was meeting our blessed Saviour whom she had loved and served so long & faithfull, and to(o), she was with our four dear children that had gon on befour and our dear fathers & mothers that had been gon so long and so many old friendes. And I thought of thoes she had lead to the Saviour that had gon on befour. I could not keep from being happy. I did not try to keep from rejoysing. I had thanke(d) God so many times that he had spared us to live together so long, over 54 years. I realised that we could not stay togeather mutch longer. She was over 75 years old. The day she died was a lovely day. The next day we drove through to Columbia. I thought evrything looked so butefall. When we got to the church, the first Baptist, so many of our relations and old friend met us. That did me good. And when we went in to the church, it was field with our friendes. I could but rejoyce. I thought the songes was the pretest I had every heard. Bro. Hight read the 103 psalm. I thought it so appropate. He then told of her work with him in meetings. We had been in so many meetings to geather. He was verry familiar with her life since we had been in the county. Bro. Mayes, the pastor, made a buteful talk from the text, "I have fought a good fight, I have kept the faith," etc (?). Every thing seamed butifull, the flowers and the people. I could not restrane my self. I had to talk after the preachers got through. I told my friendes I had fought the battle and had gaind the victory and that God's grace had sustaned me in the trying hour, and how I knew she was rejoycing with our blessed Saviour and loved ones, and that I would soon be with them, too, and what a happy meeting that would be. We layed her body by little Mary Bells, one whom she loved so well, in the semitary at Rose Hill, but I did not feal like she was their, only her body, which must returne to the dust to a wate the coming of our blessed Saviour. Then it would be raised a spitual body and a gloryfied body.

My friends was so good and kind to me. I appreciated them so mutch. We returned to Mt. Pleasant that night. I sleped in the same room & the same bead we had slepted on. To my supprise I was not the least bit lonsome, but the Lord seamed to be with me. I realized the truth of that Scripture wher Christ said to Paul when he was praying for the Lord to remove the thorne in his flesh, that he said, My grace is sufficent for you. I am stil trusting him and he give me grace day by day. My greatest desire now is that I may do his will and that I may be able to help to advance his Kingdom in the world while I remaine hear.

I remained at Mt. Pleasant until some time in August. I joined Bro. Freeman in protracted meetings. The first was at Fairview. We had a good meeting their. Their was several joined the church. The next was at Friendship. We had a _____ atended (?) meeting, their 19 baptizen. We also _____the association at Rockspring (two lines illegible) _______ church their our next was at Lawrenceburg. Bro. Bicket came and stayen three days. We was expecting bro. Freeman back, but he did not get back, so we closed the meeting. I think their was five or six joined the church their.

Kitty & Buck had moved to them selves & wanted me to live with them. As the work was geting a long so well at Mt. Pleasant I thought I could do more good hear. Since the first of Oct. I went to work with the people at the mission and arranged with Bro. Freeman to hold a meeting in January 1915. We had a verry successfull meeting, organized a church with twenty charter members. 39 joined by experence and baptism. We now have ____ on the roll. We called bro. Becket for half time (?) as pastor, but he thot it best for the cause to preach the first Sunday night and _____   ____ night the third Sunday. We also called Bro. Freeman to preach two Sunday nightes in the month, but he has not been able to preach that often, but has promist to preach as often as he can.

In conclusion I can truthfully say, I never had a falling out or had any trouble with my neighbors. Wher ever I have lived ____ have been so wournderfully blessen with good friendes, and have never used whisky or tobaco since I surrenderd my life to the Lord about 30 years ago. Neither have I belonged to any lodge of any kind (?). I regard the church of Christ to be the greatest instetution in the world, and it has ever been a joy to me to meet with God's people and work for the salvation of sinners. My sinsere desire and prayer to God that ____ children & grand & great grand children may ___ a more consecrated & devoted and a more useful life than I have, as I think they have. I can truthfully say that it payes to live a Christian life and their is but one (?) way to live _______.

Copyright by C. Brownlow Hastings, 1994.